Category «Antiquities»

Katoghike Church – Talin, Armenia

Katoghike Church – Talin, Armenia

The Katoghike Church, also known as the Talinsk Cathedral, is located north of the town of Talin. In the historical annals, records on the construction of the church have not been preserved. After analyzing the architectural and artistic features of the church building, historians came to the conclusion that it belongs to the second half …

Traditions of Royal Hunting in Armenia

Traditions of Royal Hunting in Armenia

King Khosrov II (4th century) remained in history as the founder of the city of Dvin and the initiator of planting a forest named after him. Once, the Khosrovakert forest was fenced with a stone wall and was conventionally divided into two sections one of which, planted by Prince Vache Mamikonyan, stretched along the bank …

Cathedral of St. Grigor – Aruch, Armenia

Cathedral of St. Grigor – Aruch, Armenia

Cathedral of St. Grigor (St. Gregory) Aruch is located in the village of the same name in the Aragatsotn Province of Armenia. The cathedral was built by Prince Grigor Mamikonyan and his wife Heghine. According to the inscriptions, construction began in 662 and ended (according to chronicle sources) in 666. This is the only early …

The Door of Mher in the Akravukar Cliff

The Door of Mher in the Akravukar Cliff

The Door of Mher is carved in the Akravukar (“The Crow Stone”) cliff near the city of Van in historical Vaspurakan province. The Door of Mher is a large wall with a cuneiform inscription carved into the rock. The structure’s form and decorations make it resemble a door. According to a legend, a shepherd once …

The Sisavan Church – Sisian, Armenia

The Sisavan Church – Sisian, Armenia

The Sisavan Church, which is also known as St. Gregory Church or St. Hovhannes Church, is located northwest of Sisian in Syunik Province of Armenia. Historians disagree on the exact date of the construction of the church. According to some sources, the church was built in 663-682 under Syunik Prince Kokhazat with the support of …

Kars Fortress and Surb Arakelots Church

Kars Fortress and Surb Arakelots Church

Kars is the capital of the province of the same name. Among the special attractions of the province are Lake Çıldır, the ruins of Ani, and the ski resort of Sarygamysh. The fortress of Kars in accordance with the Paris Peace Treaty of 1855 was given to the Turks in exchange for Sevastopol, Balaklava, and …

There Was No Collapse of the Kingdom of Van (Urartu)

There Was No Collapse

On this high relief, the first king from the dynasty of Yervanduni Yervand I Sakavakyats (“short staying” due to his short reign) protects his son Tigran, and a warrior protects the king himself from the attack of the son-in-law of Nebuchadnezzar Nergal Sarasar. No such thing as the fall of Kingdom of Van (Urartu) has …

Hakobavank Monastery – Artsakh, Armenia

Hakobavank Monastery – Artsakh, Armenia

The monastery of Hakobavank (literally “monastery of Hakob”) or Metsaranits is located in the Martakert district of Artsakh in 1.5 km from the village of Kolatak (the historic province of Mets Hayk, the province of Metsarank, later renamed to Lower Khachen). In historical chronicles, there is no information on the specific date of the establishment …

Portasar Built by Hunter-Gatherers?

Portasar Built by Hunter-Gatherers?

Given the fact that Portasar is 8,000 years older than the Stonehenge and that its every column weighs many tons, we should ask ourselves not only what types of tools were used to carve the figures in the stones but, more importantly, also ask what material these tools were made of. Remember, it was 12,000 …

Argishtikhinili – Ancient Armenia

Argishtikhinili – Ancient Armenia

Argishtikhinili (near the present-day town of Armavir) was an ancient city in the Kingdom of Van (Urartu) established under king Argishti I and named after him on the left bank of the Araks River, in its middle reaches. The city existed in the 8th-6th centuries BC. The ruins of the central fortress of Argishtikhinili are …

The Ancient Armenian City of Bitlis

The Ancient Armenian City of Bitlis

Bitlis (Baghesh in Armenian) is a city in historical Western Armenia and the center of the Turkish province of the same name. Bitlis Province corresponds to some areas of Greater Armenia’s provinces of Aldznik and Turuberan. The city is located at an altitude of 1600 meters, about 20 km southwest of Lake Van, south of …

Ashkharhazhoghs – Democracy in Ancient Armenia

Ashkharhazhoghs – Democracy

The references to democracy in Ancient Armenia through the Ashkharhazhogh conference (Armenian: World Assembly) are preserved in the writings of Romano-Jewish historian Josephus from the 1st century AD. In the pre-Christian era, the Ashkharhazhogh conference was usually convened every year on Navasard holidays at the sanctuary of the Vanatur temple in Bagavan located at the …

Church of St. Gevorg in Mughni

Church of St. Gevorg in Mughni

Mughni Monastery is located in the village of the same name north of the town of Ashtarak in Aragatsotn Province. The complex includes the main church of St. Gevorg (1661–1669) with a gallery, a refectory, the abbot’s apartments, and office premises. The buildings of the monastery are surrounded by a beautiful & well-kept garden and …

Aytsemnik – Armenian Warrior and Military Leader

Aytsemnik – Armenian Warrior

Aytsemnik’s character is extremely important in Armenian history and ideology. In the Soviet years, the study of her heroic biography was part of the school curriculum. Unfortunately, at the moment, interest in her figure has waned. And this threatens oblivion to her not only as an interesting historical person but also as an example of …

The Location of the City of Tegarama (Togarmah)

The Location of the City of Tegarama

The city of Tegarama, which is mentioned in Hittite sources and identified with the biblical Togarmah, is usually localized by researchers on the right bank of the Upper Euphrates, on the site of modern Gürün (west of Malatia). According to new interpretations, the city of Tegarama was located north of Malatia near the mouth of …