In the 1920s Manuel Karakashian wrote about the Deir Zor Armenian bones that a European company had gathered to take to Iskanderoun/Alexandretta.
Historian Vasis Achidisi wrote that on Dec. 13, 1924, a ship filled with Armenian bones left Mudania for Marseille.
When the ship stopped in Salonica, porters noticed that the bones were those of humans. Although port officials were informed, permission was granted for the ship to continue its journey.
On Dec. 24, the “New York Times” reported that the ship had arrived in Marseille. The paper reported that the ship’s cargo had become the talk of the town. According to locals, the bones were to be converted to buttons.