At the orphanages established by the Near East Relief in 1920, there were large production centers which were organized and headed by Byrtene Anderson.
One of the orphanages was located in Alexandropol (Gyumri). For its four thousand orphans, the first half of the day was a working time.
They were trained in crafts and performed various work tasks. The second half of the day was intended for education.
As a result, thousands of refugees and orphans in Armenia were provided with the necessary clothing and tools.