On July 9, 1920, the Government of the Republic of Armenia approved the coat of arms designed by Aleksandr Tamanyan. Armenian President Armen Sargsyan wrote about this on Twitter.
The Law “On the State Emblem of the Republic of Armenia” was adopted on April 19, 1992, by the Supreme Council of the Republic of Armenia. The new emblem was a reproduction of the coat of arms of the First Armenian Republic (1918-1920) developed by member of the Russian Academy of Arts architect Alexander Tamanyan and artist Hakob Kojoyan.
After the constitutional reform of November 27, 2005, on June 15, 2006, a new RA law on the state emblem of the Republic of Armenia was adopted.
The emblem of the Republic of Armenia is the national symbol of Armenia. In its center is a shield with the image of Mount Ararat crowned by the Noah’s Ark. Around the shield are the coats of arms of the four kingdoms of historical Armenia – the kingdoms of Bagratuni, Arshakuni, Artashesyan, and Rubenyan dynasties.
The shield is supported by an eagle (left) and a lion (right). Under the shield is a sword, as well as a tree branch, thorns, a chain, and a ribbon.
Gold is the main color of the coat of arms of the Republic of Armenia. The coats of arms of historical Armenian kingdoms are colored red and blue. The shield in the center with Mount Ararat is colored orange. These colors symbolize the colors of the national flag of the Republic of Armenia.