The Armenian quarter in the Old City was formed in the 12th century when the Cathedral of Surb Hakobyants was built.
Later, the Surb Toros Church was erected as well, in which handwritten books of the Jerusalem Patriarchate of the Armenian Apostolic Church began to be collected.
For a long time, Patriarch Yegishe Turyan had the idea of a large library. It became a reality thanks to the participation of the famous philanthropist Galust Gulbenkian who dedicated the project to the memory of his parents.
In 1929, the foundation of the future building was laid, and in 1932, the library was finally opened. Currently, there are more than 4,000 manuscripts kept there, the oldest ones of which date to the 11th century.