The Monastery of Saint Sarkis consists of Saint Sarkis Chapel of the 10th century, Surp Astvatsatsin Church (“Church of the Holy Mother of God”), an adjacent gavit of the 11th-12th centuries, vestibule, belfry, refectory, vaulted guest-chamber, housing for monks, and utility rooms.
A fortification wall built in 1654 with fortified two-story circular towers in three of the corners surrounds the monastic complex.
During the earthquakes of 1679 and 1827, the monastery was reduced to ruins. The only structure left standing was the single-nave vaulted chapel that houses the grave of Saint Sarkis.
How a promise made to genocide survivors was traded away for peace with Ankara —…
A Fragment That Traveled Across Continents The gilt-silver medallion shown above — two richly dressed…
Few episodes in ancient Armenian history capture the imagination quite like the tradition that Hannibal…
Five angles of one small bronze figure — and what emerges is not an abstract…
Introduction Among the successor states that emerged from the fragmentation of the Achaemenid-derived Orontid (Armenian:…
Article based on the explanations and interpretive observations of Angela Terian, with additional archaeological and…