Categories: Antiquities

The Tatev Monastery – Armenia

Tatev Monastery (Armenian: Տաթեւի վանք) is a monastic complex of the 9th-13th centuries located in the Syunik province, Armenia, in 20 km from the town of Goris. Over its existence, it has been the spiritual center of Syunik since the 9th century.

The complex also includes the hermitage of Tatevi Anapat. In 1995, the Tatev Monastery was added to the UNESCO World Heritage Sites.

The monastery was founded in 895-906 by the ruler of Syunik Ashot and his wife Shushan as well as the prince of Gegharkunik Grigor Supan II and Prince Balka Dzagik.

In the 10th century, about a thousand people lived in the monastery. In the 13th century, the monastery taxed the 680 surrounding villages and sought to expand its influence, on the basis of which a number conflicts arose between the monastery and the local settlements.

The monastery was one of the most important centers of science and education in Armenia in 14th-15th centuries. In the Middle Ages, the Tatev school of miniature developed here. Besides, the monastery was one of the intellectual centers of medieval Armenia.

At a congress in the Tatev Monastery on April 27, 1921, the Dashnak Republic of Mountainous Armenia was proclaimed.

The monastery was severely damaged by an earthquake in 1931. Currently, the territory is undergoing restoration works, but the monastery is open to visitors without restrictions.

On October 16, 2010, the “Tatev Revival” project was commenced, the first result of which was the launch of the 5.7-km Wings of Tatev cableway going through the Vorotan gorge.

There are two versions of the origin of the name of the monastery. According to one of them, “Tatev” is translated from Armenian as “give wings”. It is rumored that having completed the work, the master builder rose to the edge of the gorge, crossed himself, and said, “Ogni, Surb, ta tev” (“May the Holy Spirit give me wings”), and rushed to the abyss. In his fall, the master grew wings and flew away. The monastery he built was named Tatev.

The second version is associated with the name of St. Eustatheos (Eustache), a disciple of the Apostle Thaddeus who preached Christianity in Armenia.

In these places, the missionary suffered martyrdom, and in the 4th century, a church was built over his grave, which was consecrated by Grigor Lusavorich (St. Gregory the Illuminator).

The ruins of the temple were preserved behind the fortress walls not far from the entrance to the monastery. The restoration of this medieval monastery is the main goal of the “Tatev Revival” project.

by Asot Ter-Abrahamyan (Alexander Bakulin)

Tatev Monastery, Armenia

Tatev monastery, Spandaryan Reservoir and Nexuc church: Interesting Triple of Armenia: part 1

Vigen Avetisyan

Recent Posts

Abandoned by an Ally: The French Armenian Legion in Cilicia and the Road to the Smyrna Catastrophe

How a promise made to genocide survivors was traded away for peace with Ankara —…

2 days ago

The Vilgort Cup: A Silver Masterpiece of Cilician Armenia (c. 1150–1159 A.D.)

A Fragment That Traveled Across Continents The gilt-silver medallion shown above — two richly dressed…

4 days ago

Hannibal and Artaxias the Great: The Carthaginian General Who Helped Build the “Armenian Carthage”

Few episodes in ancient Armenian history capture the imagination quite like the tradition that Hannibal…

1 week ago

The Priestess of the Kingdom of Van: A 9th-Century BC Bronze Figurine in the British Museum

Five angles of one small bronze figure — and what emerges is not an abstract…

3 weeks ago

The Winged Sun and the Armenian Tiara: Royal Symbolism of the Orontid (Yervanduni) Kingdom of Commagene, 163 BC – 72 AD

Introduction Among the successor states that emerged from the fragmentation of the Achaemenid-derived Orontid (Armenian:…

3 weeks ago

A Bronze Age Vessel from Gardman: Solar Symbolism, the Sun-Cross, and the Sacred Landscape of Ancient Armenia

Article based on the explanations and interpretive observations of Angela Terian, with additional archaeological and…

3 weeks ago