In 1965, a biennale was organized in the city of Carrara. This event was attended by a young sculptor from Yerevan Ara Harutyunyan who by that time had already authored three major monuments in Armenia (“Sayat-Nova”, Komitas tombstone, “Lion” in Geghard).
Visiting the famous quarry of Carrara, the sculptor noticed the fragments of a large sculpture: hands, parts of legs, and the head. It turned out that these are the parts of an incomplete statue of Christ. Apparently, it was left incomplete because its sculptor ran out of funds.
In 1966, a delegation of the Yerevan City Hall visited Carrara. As a sign of friendship between the two cities, the municipality of Carrara granted those sculpture fragments to Yerevan.
In 1967, Ara Harutyunyan created a composition from the fragments. They were arranged in a way so that the right hand lies in the left, with their index fingers almost touching each other. The monument “Hands of Friendship” was officially opened in 1967. Since that time, the monument has been an inseparable part of the panorama of Yerevan.
Article based on the explanations and interpretive observations of Angela Terian, with additional archaeological and…
Lenin: Soviet nationalities policy, Azerbaijan SSR founded 1920, Stalin: Constitution and census fix the ethnonym…
An unprecedented find on Arin Berd hill On 23 July 2026, the French Embassy in…
For more than fifteen centuries, one line from Movses Khorenatsi's History of the Armenians has…
Armenian historical tradition, echoed by a number of modern researchers, identifies Rusudan as an Armenian…
Tucked away in the greenery of the 2nd block of Yerevan's Nor Nork district, in…