April in Jukhtakvank. In the dense forests of Dilijan this small monastery, beautiful in its modesty and simplicity, is hidden.
The name comes from the word “jhukht” which means “couple”, since the complex includes two buildings: Surb Astvatsatsin and Surb Grigor churches.
On the walls of Surb Astvatsatsin, there are chronicle inscriptions from which it follows that this church was built in 1201 by the efforts of the priest Ayrapet and the master Sarkis, and Surb Grigor already existed by that time.
The ninth photo shows traces of a recently performed of matagh (sacrifice).
Author: Ell Ka Translation Art-A-Tsolum
How a promise made to genocide survivors was traded away for peace with Ankara —…
A Fragment That Traveled Across Continents The gilt-silver medallion shown above — two richly dressed…
Few episodes in ancient Armenian history capture the imagination quite like the tradition that Hannibal…
Five angles of one small bronze figure — and what emerges is not an abstract…
Introduction Among the successor states that emerged from the fragmentation of the Achaemenid-derived Orontid (Armenian:…
Article based on the explanations and interpretive observations of Angela Terian, with additional archaeological and…