The Armenian quarter in the Old City was formed in the 12th century when the Cathedral of Surb Hakobyants was built.
Later, the Surb Toros Church was erected as well, in which handwritten books of the Jerusalem Patriarchate of the Armenian Apostolic Church began to be collected.
For a long time, Patriarch Yegishe Turyan had the idea of a large library. It became a reality thanks to the participation of the famous philanthropist Galust Gulbenkian who dedicated the project to the memory of his parents.
In 1929, the foundation of the future building was laid, and in 1932, the library was finally opened. Currently, there are more than 4,000 manuscripts kept there, the oldest ones of which date to the 11th century.
How a promise made to genocide survivors was traded away for peace with Ankara —…
A Fragment That Traveled Across Continents The gilt-silver medallion shown above — two richly dressed…
Few episodes in ancient Armenian history capture the imagination quite like the tradition that Hannibal…
Five angles of one small bronze figure — and what emerges is not an abstract…
Introduction Among the successor states that emerged from the fragmentation of the Achaemenid-derived Orontid (Armenian:…
Article based on the explanations and interpretive observations of Angela Terian, with additional archaeological and…